Monday, May 14, 2007

Graduation Day Lights a Spark... (on my face)

Saturday was a nice day in the mid-60s, with a bit of a cool breeze and a few clouds in the sky. There I sat with my family and a few thousand other people celebrating the accomplishments of my sister. The ceremony lasted close to 3 hours. Little did I suspect that something would happen then that is still affecting me today. My entire family ended up getting sunburned but of course I received the worst of it.

It has taken a few days but I'm starting to realize that my burns were much worse than I wanted to admit. I will be going to the doctor's shortly and expect him to verify that they could be close to 2nd degree burns. This on a semi-cloudy day in the mid-60s. I won't get into the gory details of what my face currently looks like. Suffice to say that comparisons could be made to lizards. I feel like a bit of a fool. I'm not a stupid man by any means but I guess IQ points mean nothing if you don't have enough sense to use sunblock or at least wear a hat. Luckily, I'm not alone. I feel a good portion of that audience got highly toasted.

Evoking the spirit of Earl Hickey, I feel that karma may have played a role in my current situation. You see, my older sister and I took great pleasure in people-watching during the event. There were many great sights to see. By far the greatest was this man wearing a hat so ridiculous we couldn't help but roll over in laughter. My sister managed to sneak a picture of him which, needless to say, is priceless. There he sits like a proud peacock. By the way, not shown in the picture was his wife who was sporting a matching hat, although not upturned towards the moon.

Eventually he flipped the front of that bad boy down to give himself plenty of protection from the sun, which kicked our ass. I can't help but think that Karma played a role because we were having fun at his expense. So I give my pledge now. Never again will I find humor in the quirkiness of others' hat choices. I don't care if a woman is wearing a Chiquita Banana hat at a funeral. I will simply designate them as my superior for choosing to block out the rays of the sun.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm sure that photo of that guy is worth the sunburn, right? Maybe just a little? That hat is ridiculous! Hope you feel better.

Eileen said...

You would have thought a 3-hour graduation was punishment enough...

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.